[GRASSLIST:5776] m.in.e00, missing areas

Ezra Glenn melhaber at rcn.com
Wed Mar 12 12:07:11 EST 2003

I have been using m.in.e00 to import some .e00 land use layers provided
by my state's GIS office -- for example, the land use layer for the town
of Carlisle, which can be found at http://www.state.ma.us/mgis/ftplus.htm.

The import does not result in any stated errors, but I notice there are
a number of areas where d.what.vect returns "nothing found".  Also, some
clicks for d.what.vect result in "Segmentation fault".  When I run
v.to.rast, these areas all come in as NULL.

I have viewed the data in ArcView and there the coverage is complete --
there are no unattributed areas.  The ones that get left out seem to be
the larger background areas (the "sea" polygons around other "island"
polygons).  Also, I noted that the ID#s for these polygons all start at
2, not 1 (although this is true in both Grass and ArcView).

I always choose the "automatically run v.support" option under m.in,e00,
  which tells me that there are 24 "unattached atts".  Does that mean
that these areas are not closed?  If so, is there a simple way to clean
up this problem?  I think the attributes are all there under dig_cat/.

I am running Grass5 under Linux on a Dell computer with a pentium 4, if
that helps at all.
--
Ezra Glenn, AICP
Land Use & Environmental Planner
email: eglenn at mcgregorlaw.com
web: www.mcgregorlaw.com

This message and its attachment(s), if any, are confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named above.  Any other distribution,
copying, or disclosure is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete all copies
of the email and its attachment(s), if any, without making a copy.
Thank you.  McGregor & Associates, P.C.