[GRASSLIST:5832] Problem with v.support

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Fri Mar 21 20:13:44 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I am running GRASS 5.0.0 on OS X 10.2.4.

I used Adobe Illustrator to trace elevation contours.  After some trial and
error, I exported to the contours to a tiff format and imported this into
grass as a raster file using r.in.gdal, then ran r.support.  So far, so
good.  I used r.surf.contour, then used r.contour to create a vector file.
When I run v.support, I run into trouble.  The process goes on for about
three hours.  During this time, I get a few warnings saying that the label
(in this last case 150 then 190) match another label (150 then 190).  Then
the computer crashes in such a way that I have to restart.  I had to run
Norton Utilities afterwards.  Any idea what¹s happening, and more
importantly, how to fix it.

What I am doing is trying to create a 3D map of a region in my study area
using nviz.  Can I do this from a raster map, using r.digit to set label the
contours¹ elevations?

Thanks for what ever help anyone can offer.

Kurt Springs