[GRASSLIST:5839] Questions on v.digit

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 19:01:10 EST 2003

Hi All,

I just finished using v.digit to retrace the contour lines of a vector file.
The old vector file was created from a raster file.  The lines this process
created were thick and broken.

My first question is, how do I remove the old lines so I just have the new
lines that I just traced.

Second question.  The book, and v.support, make mention about nodes.  I
assume these are a kind of anchor point.  Will I need these for the
contours, and if I do, would it be some kind of box drawn around the
contours that the end points would be snapped to?

Third Question.  When I go to label the contours:  some of the contours go
off the end of the map then come back on at a later point.  Do I have to do
anything special, or will v.digit be able to keep track of this.

Last question:  I will be receiving contour maps made by the Irish ordinance
survey in .dxf form from my professor.  The contours should have been
labelled by the OS.  I expect that v.in.dxf should do the job.  Are there
any surprises that I should watch for?

Kurt