[GRASSLIST:5841] Re: Simple plotting of variables in census blocks/tracts?

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Mar 24 04:57:02 EST 2003

On Thursday 20 March 2003 02:47 am, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am total newbie both in GRASS as well as in GIS (but I have
> plenty experience with Linux). I am a PhD student of
> interdisciplinary studies of law (basically law & society) and
> I begun my work on thesis related to the community analysis of
> the black community here in Boston, MA. I would love to be able
> to create couple of maps for displaying different variables in
> the map of Boston and some neighboring cities. An example of what
> I would like to achieve is on
> http://www.volny.cz/cepls/tmp/FullMealSupportSussex.eps.gz
> (created with ArcMap).

Such maps may be created in GRASS. Here I describe one possible
way how to do that. You need:
- vector polygon layer imported to GRASS (I don't have any
  experience with TIGER)
- attribute data in database available as ODBC source
- north arrow and barscale as EPS files

then:
- reclass vector map for each thematic map based on attributes
  (v.db.reclass)
- generate map by ps.map (using 'vector' + 'line_cat' for each class
  and 'eps' for north arrow and barscale)

Radim