[GRASSLIST:5861] projection, color rules for vectors

Miroslav Sedivy miro at slovensko.com
Tue Mar 25 10:29:27 EST 2003

Hello all,

thanks for the ideas on alpha transparency application. Finally I converted all outputs to pnm and pgm (using PerlMagick) and applied a pnmcomp command and then converted it back to png. Works, great, thanks!

Now I have two more questions. Actually I am a computer sciences student and don't have any experience in GIS and physical geography in general. I am slowly discovering Grass and find it excellent (also for its perfect usage of linux command line).

I wanted to display a map of Germany (5E-16E, 47N-56N) using Universal Polar Stereographic projection and wgs84 ellipsoid, but it is still wider than higher. I tried the lat-lon projection before, but the result was the same. Actually, on most commercial general maps of Germany, the country is "almost the same wide as tall", while all these projections show it much wider. Which projection/ellipsoid would you recommend for usage on such location as Germany? Or is there any other way to stretch the output vertically/horizontally apart from scaling the output png file?

Another question concerns the colours. For raster maps, I can use the r.colors command and the "rules" colorset where I define some colours for some fixed values and the rest is interpolated. Is there any way to define such rules and then use d.vect.area with some value, so that the fillcolor is taken from the rules table?

Thank you very much for your help,

Miroslav Sedivy