[GRASSLIST:5893] Re: GRASS on Cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Mar 28 16:57:36 EST 2003

Aldo Clerici wrote:

> I'm having a problem (after many others) in compiling GRASS5.0.1 under
> Cigwin. I did successfully configure,make and make install, but
> when I run grass5 I have this message:
> /usr/local/bin/grass5: line 106 :  [: too many arguments
> ERROR: usage: /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock file pid
> Clerici is currently running GRASS. Concurrent use is not allowed.
>
> Where I failed?

GRASS can't handle spaces in directory names, but your home directory
contains a space (presumably "/home/Aldo Clerici").

Try changing your home directory in the /etc/passwd file; OTOH, you
might also need to explicitly set HOME in your ~/.bashrc file, i.e.

	HOME=/home/aldo
	export HOME

The latest CVS version includes some changes to handle spaces in
filenames (at least the startup code should be fixed; individual
modules may still have problems, though).