[GRASSLIST:5905] Scanned images - how to assign coordinates for the first time

John Doucette doucettj at gbis.com
Sat Mar 29 01:29:55 EST 2003

I seem to be having a conceptual problem with Grass and images.  I would like to bring a scanned image into Grass and to assign coordinates to the image and then probably save it as a geotiff or geojpg.  I thought i.rectify would be the ticket but after trying to do so and reading the manual pages I now think that i.rectify is only for use with an already rectified image and actually seems to be used to transform an already rectified image rather than to assign coordinate for the first time.  So how does one put coordinates on a scanned image the first time?  Can this be done in Grass or do I have to go out and get a multi-hundred/thousand dollar program to assign coordinates to a scanned map that doesn't have coordinates assigned yet?

Thanks for any help.
John