[GRASSLIST:5926] libtiff.a versus libtiff.dylib (MAC OS X)

Scott Metker smetker at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:48:20 EST 2003

I'm currently trying to bring Grass up on Mac OS X 10.2.4 (Jaguar) after I
used it sucessfully in 10.1.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with libtiff.dylib and its
requirements for r.out.tiff (I found some information formerly in a post on
this list in early February "[GRASSLIST:5442] Re: Newbie tries OS X port"

My problem is that I used the tcl includes from the grass download site (MAC
OS binaries and install for 5.0pre4).  However, the install drops libtiff.a
into /usr/local/lib.  Grass is looking for libtiff.dylib in this directory,
however (when I invoke r.out.tiff).

When I copy libtiff.a to libtiff.dylib (just a goofy experiment), it finds
the file, but gives me a "bad checksum / bad magic number" error for the
file.  I'm assuming that items with the dylib extension need to be specially
built...

Anyone know where I can get a mac version of this file?  Help!

Scott Metker
smetker at hotmail.com