[GRASSLIST:6166] raster import - getting started

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Fri May 2 13:37:05 EDT 2003

I've installed grass5 on a bsd system. I have set up the directories and
am following the direction in Neteler's book to import some georectified
tiffs. I am just playing around here as I learn my way around grass...

If I use: r.in.tiff input=/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1643.TIF output=drg1643

I get the error:
/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1643.TIF: Warning, unknown field with tag 33550
(0x830e) ignored.
/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1643.TIF: Warning, unknown field with tag 33922
(0x8482) ignored.
/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1643.TIF: Warning, unknown field with tag 34735
(0x87af) ignored.
ERROR: Only handle 1-channel gray scale or 3-channel color.

If I try r.in.gdal input=/home/kwythers/tmp/DRG1643.TIF output=drg1643

I get the error:
GBBridgeInitialize() failed to find an suitable GDAL .DLL/.so file.
The following filenames were searched for:
  o libgdal.1.1.so
  o gdal.1.0.so
  o gdal.so.1.0
  o libgdal.so.1

The following locations were searched:
  o /usr/local/grass5/lib
  o System default locations.

System default locations may be influenced by:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /usr/local/grass5/lib
ERROR: Unable to initialize GDAL bridge (check libgdal
       installation/LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable).

I am obviously missing something extremely simple. Can anyone straighten
me out here?

Thanks

Kirk