[GRASSLIST:6178] Re: Underwater GIS?

David Finlayson dfinlays at u.washington.edu
Mon May 5 14:42:04 EDT 2003

Bernino -

As far as the actual mapping tasks, I can see no reason why
off-the-shelf Grass cannot handle mapping the sea floor and objects of
interest on the sea floor.  Simply interpolate your X,Y,Z points into a
DEM. (I am getting a Ph.D. doing exactly this on a more ambitious scale)
  You will have to be more creative if you want a 3-D map that includes
objects in the water column itself (not on the sea floor).  But then,
Grass may be the best tool around for this task as well, since it is the
only GIS I am aware of that has a full 3-D model built in (not even ESRI
has this yet).

I might be able to give you a better answer if you described what
"tools" you had in mind that were unique to divers.

Something else...I recently attended a research conference in Vancouver,
B.C. where a program known as the Sidney Pier Artificial Reef Science
(SPARS) was presented.  The idea was to use recreational SCUBA divers to
help monitor an artificial reef.  They may have developed techniques for
underwater mapping that were manageable for recreational divers.  Here
is the web site:

http://www-sci.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/protocol/spars/

Cheers,

--