[GRASSLIST:6187] labels and TIGER line data?

Greg Sepesi sepesi at eduneer.com
Tue May 6 14:36:02 EDT 2003

Greetings,

I've been attempting to import TIGER line data with labels.  Following
Dr. James Hinthorne's tutorial
(http://www.regis.berkeley.edu/census/censusGrass2.html), I've created
hydrography maps from TIGER line data using several methods:

	1) v.in.tig.basic without the -t (topography) option
	2) v.in.tig.basic with the -t option
	3) v.in.tig.lndmk

But none of the features in these maps have labels.  I've unsuccessfully
tried running v.support in an attempt to create the necessary dig_cats
file.  Running d.what.vect results in "<not labeled>" after a category
report, and running v.out.ascii for each of the maps confirms that the
"OTHER INFO:" line does not specify a dig_cats file (the line instead
specifies: "Map of TIGER lines").

Looking at the input data, the TIGER record type 1 file contains names
of rivers and streams in the FENAME (i.e., feature name) field.  How do
I get those feature names to be line labels in GRASS?

Thanks,
Greg