[GRASSLIST:1] missing library " libdl.1.dylib" : NVIZ, OSX, 5.0.2

John Chesnut jchesnut at slonet.org
Sat May 10 01:16:51 EDT 2003

I installed the OpenOSX binary 5.0.2 posted on the GRASS site.  After
some tinkering, I got tcltkgrass running.
However NVIZ will not run,  evidently on account of a missing library:
NVIZ exits with the error :

dyld: /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 can't open library:
/usr/local/lib/libdl.1.dylib
  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
child killed: trace trap
     while executing
"exec /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
/usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script el=AZero
ve=Bathy -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within

inspecting the files shows a  libdl.0.dylib left over from my GRASS
5.0.0 OSX  installation, but no libdl.1.dylib.

Is the NVIZ library not part of the binary distribution, and how can
I fix this (without doing my own make).

I replaced the 5.0.2 etc/Nviz 2.2 folder with the Nviz 2.2 from the
5.0 distribution to make Nviz functional, what am i missing by using
a old distribution version and what bug does this introduce (mixing
version files)

The newbie question:  can I simply add a binary of the missing
library, and where can I obtain one.

Note also : the OpenOSX-tcltkgrass.diff patch  reports an error
(can't find file).
  a file exist "tcltkgrass.tcl"  in the
/usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass/main/ directory and a file tcltkgrass in
the/grass5/ bin dirctory.  The patch dialog seems to indicate the bin
directory is the target ?