[GRASSLIST:34] r.mapcalc evaluation order

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu May 15 10:21:21 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am running r.mapcalc on the LandScan world population database
(www.ornl.gov/gist/projects/LandScan). This is a 4 byte, 43.200*20.800
raster, and I use mapcalc to recategorize it to a one byte, 256 valued
raster, according to some different categorizing algorithms (essentially
variations on histogram equalisation). The category boundaries have been
computed separately; the only thing r.mapcalc has to do is to apply them
to the input raster. The mapcalc script only consists of a few dozens of
"if" rules, but these take a very long time to execute (days). My
impression is that r.mapcalc evaluates every rule for every cell. Does
anyone know if this is the case, and if so, is there a way to stop
evaluation after a match has been found (something like an "else"
statement)?

Jan

Jan Hartmann wrote:

> Glynn Clements wrote:
>

>> I don't know; I suggest re-running "make" and "make install".
>>

> Yes, now it runs. Thanks.
>
> Jan

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography