[GRASSLIST:112] Re: Considering replacing ESRI

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Wed May 21 13:09:03 EDT 2003

To add to Roger's thoughts...

The two most critical decisions I believe you have to make are:

1.  What are the functional requirements of the geospatial end users?
2.  What applications are available to fulfill those requirements?

ESRI tools have come a long way in the 20 or so years they've had a
commercial product.  Their latest architecture, for as modular and
extensible as it is now, has entirely neglected a large contingency of
their user base, the open architecture end-user, (i.e., *nix).  That
WAS their platform previous to their latest COM+ architecture that Arc
8.x is built upon.  That is IMO, unfortunate and will drive users that
cherish the power of open architecture,(opposed to open source), to
seek alternatives.  It is also a sad testament to the leverage Microsoft
has on the world.  I further believe that the collective world will
eventually chose the open path when they reach the fork in the road
requiring them to make a decision, (as it sounds like your organization
has in their sites), reqardless of what some (influential) capitalists
will try to impose on everyone else.  (FTR, I too am a capitalist -
for now - just not one of the influential ones with a greedy desire
to get to the top, and knock everyone else off).

Last thought, the most critical component of spatial analysis is
maintained not in the application, but in the data.  With the emergence
and continuing improvement to open source projects like PostGIS (GPL
license - although it extends PostgreSQL which uses BSD license), you're
safe and may want to consider going this route first eliminating
the high licensing costs of ArcSDE and Oracle, while still using
ArcView as the application until a more robust vector-based open
source geospatial analysis tool becomes available. It will, its
just a matter of time and colaboration.

-jv