[GRASSLIST:116] Re: 5.0.0pre3 to 5.0.2 conversion problem

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 21 15:55:14 EDT 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Michael Ash wrote:

> Dear Mike
>
> Thank you for the interest in my difficulties.
>

> > What happens when you substitute "x0" for the "PNG" driver?
>
> The PNG driver is not the source of the problem.  I tried the script
> with d.mon start=x0, etc., instead of PNG and had the same problems.
>
> > What computer/CPU/OS?
>
> Intel (Pentium II or something) Dell Inspiron 4100/Windows XP/Cygwin/xfree86
>
> > No data format changes should have occurred between those two versions.  I'm
> > wondering whether there is a difference in the region or projection/datum
> > handling leading to attempts to retrieve data out of the region.
>
> GRASS 5.0.2 displayed maps that looked about right in terms of the
> geographic layout.  Resetting the region worked as I expected, etc.
> The raster values seemed out of whack: in one raster map, the values
> were right according to d.what.rast but the non-null cells were all
> white instead of color-graded; and the values were all wrong (huge
> negative numbers, long strings of numbers) in another raster map; in
> most of the maps the color scheme had changed.  (It almost looked as if
> GRASS was changing datatypes.)

Just a thought - I can date the lzw to z compression change to 25-Nov-2000
(the r.lzw2z README) - what date was 5.0.0pre3? I recently hit an old
raster still in lzw compression, and puzzled a bit before remembering the
shift. I think 5.0.0pre3 was early 2002, so having an lzw floating-point
raster isn't likely (and probably wouldn't open), but it may be worth
checking when it was created.

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no