[GRASSLIST:133] Re: 5.0.0pre3 to 5.0.2 conversion problem

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu May 22 09:18:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:20:01PM -0400, Michael Ash wrote:

> > > Just a thought - I can date the lzw to z compression change to 25-Nov-2000
> > > (the r.lzw2z README) - what date was 5.0.0pre3? I recently hit an old
> > > raster still in lzw compression, and puzzled a bit before remembering the
> > > shift. I think 5.0.0pre3 was early 2002, so having an lzw floating-point
> > > raster isn't likely (and probably wouldn't open), but it may be worth
> > > checking when it was created.
>

> Sorry about that misfired message. I meant to cancel and
> sent instead.
>
> I think that 5.0.0pre3 was indeed early 2002, but I am not
> sure that I ven understand the possibility.

For clarification, see GRASS releases and LZW related things here:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/NEWS.html

"What's new in GRASS 5 beta11 comparing to beta10
 [GRASS 5.0 beta11 released 4 Feb 2001]

 Floating point raster maps and G3D raster volume maps
 in zlib/FLATE compression now due to patent restrictions
 (all floating point raster maps and G3D volumes have to be converted -
 see announcement) "
 -> http://grass.itc.it/announces/announce_lzw_removal.html

Best regards,

 Markus