[GRASSLIST:149] problem in supervised classification

Uttam Kumar uttamkumar123 at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 08:43:30 EDT 2003

Hi GRASS USERS,
               I wanted to do supervised classification.For that I had
several training data sets-namely builtup, agriculture,waste,water etc in
vector form.I digitized those training data through v.digit and labelled
them as lines and gave them category values.Then I converted them to raster
form through v.to.rast command.Finally I executed the querry after running
the command r.mapcalc as
<output_map>=if((builtup_map==1) || (agriculture_map==2).....).The combined
raster map was obtained as <output_map> having all the categories I named
during digitizing (category 1,category 2,category 3..). The problem is that
the pixels in the raster map consists of only one color representing all the
categories instead of different colors for different categories which can be
seen when one displays the raster images separatly for each category in a
separate window.(eg. blue for water, yellow for agriculture, red for
builtup...).The resultant file after combining all the training data sets
was put as a signature file for the command i.gensig.The resulting output
was used as a input for i.maxlik.What I get in last is a raster image of
only one colour and other categories are not seen.Yet they can be seen while
running d.legend. My problem is how to use available training data sets in
GRASS through i.gensig or i.class for using in i.maxlik for performing
supervised classification.
Please help

regards,

uttam.