[GRASSLIST:157] Temp files and bunnies.

Soil & Water Lab. swlab at cornell.edu
Fri May 23 17:27:27 EDT 2003

Hello,
We all know of these famous temporary files stored in the ".tmp/${HOSTNAME}"
of our machines, that tend to proliferate like rabbits, hence the title of
this message. What are they used for ? Most often, they just correspond to a
r.mapcalc command I had scripted. Is there any way to get rid of them while
still running ? I observed that if I regularly send a rm command to this .tmp
directory (by script. I script a lot), I can save a lot of computation time
(more precisely, I prevent the iteration time to slow down).
Any information about the origin of these temp files, and any idea about their
eradication would be very welcome
Thanks in advance
P.
--