[GRASSLIST:250] Re: How can I change the 16bit TIFF file to 8bit TIFF file?

Alip.Yasin s01k154 at shako.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu May 29 20:32:26 EDT 2003

> > Please tell me, how can I change a 16 bit TIFF file to 8 bit TIFF file
when
> > I am trying to import a TIFF file into the GRASS using [ r.in.tiff]
command?
> It may be better to use 'r.in.gdal' instead of 'r.in.tiff'.

Hi, Markus
Thank you very much for your advise.
I use photoshop to converted 16bit channel tiff to 8bit channel.
But the problem is, I am also tried 'r.in.gdal' with the converted 8bit
channel TIFF and the origin data of JPEG, and there was an error message
which says to '20020726.tif':
         < Warning 1: 20020726.tif: wrong data type 1 for "XMLPacket"; tag
ignored
           ERROR: Projection of dataset does not appear to match current
location.
           cellhd.proj=0 (unreferenced)
          You can use the -o flag to r.in.gdal  to overtide this check>
And I tried 'r.in.gdal -o input=20020726.tif output=020726ibnur',
but there was another error message:
        <Warning 1: 20020726.tif: wrong data type 1 for "XMLPacket"; tag
ignored
          WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for north>.
And the appeared error message, when I use origin data '20020726.jpg' was
the same with '20020726.tif'.
and when I override that check use '-o', the appeared error was:
       <WARNING: G_set_window(): Illegal latitude for South>
What is this mean?
And how can I solve this problem?

Eager for your advise
Sincerely