[GRASSLIST:1685] Re: GRASS binaries: why not?

Christian S. Ferreira ocecsf at furg.br
Wed Nov 5 05:25:11 EST 2003

Hi again,

>On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 05:04:48PM -0200, Christian s. Ferreira wrote:
>

>>Hi List,
>>
>>    Just a simple question: Why the GRASS release candidates
>>(in this case: GRASS 5.0.3) are not distributed like binaries.
>>

>That's a good question. I would appreciate if there were binaries.
>The main problems is that I cannot do that alone. Only if more people
>jump in and prepare such binaries we can provide them.

    Where do I become a candidate or get involved with that? But
I must say that I just use Linux on Intel PC's.

>>    In my opinion binaries would be more easy for newbies to test/install
>>and return bugs.
>>

>Definitely.
>

>>    I already compiled GRASS, but this may exclude many people that
>>could help testing the release candidates (and maybe the unstable versions).
>>    Please, I don't wanna make anybody angry, it's just my opinion.
>>

>It's a valid point. We simply need more people for
>- updating the web pages
>- creating binary packages for various platforms (tar.gz)
>- create RPMs and debian packages
>- perform testing
>- help in polishing the code in 5.3/5.7

    Well, I'm not a programmer, and not a web designer either, so I can
help creating binaries, build RPM packages (now I use Red Hat 9.0), and
of course testing, in my spare time.

>http://grass.itc.it/help-wanted.html
>(also this page could be more exciting!)

    There is a lot of things in that list. How do I start there?

>Best regards
>
> Markus Neteler

    Cheers

--
Oceanographer Christian dos Santos Ferreira
Lab. of Fisheries Reaserch and Hydroacoustics

"Open source:...

		...Millions of open minds can't be wrong."