[GRASSLIST:1807] Re: grass build error: compilation error in r.in.gdal

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Nov 18 16:49:21 EST 2003

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> >> I'm trying to tweak out the last of my build errors on OSX. When I
> >> 'make' grass I am getting the error:
> >>
> >> GRASS GIS source code compiled.
> >>
> >> Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)
> >
> > We need to see the actual error messages from the output from "make".
>
> Here is a grep for gdal in the make output. Let me know if more text of
> the make output would be helpfull

I can't be sure whether the rest of the text might be helpful without
seeing it. Certainly, an error message in building r.in.gdal won't
necessarily include the string "gdal". However:

> /usr/local/lib/gdal.a /usr/local/lib/cpl.a -lm -ldl -lm -lproj -lgis
> -lintl -lI  -lz
> ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/gdal.a is out of
> date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

This would certainly explain the failure. It indicates that the GDAL
library hasn't been built correctly. You may be able to fix the
problem by running:

	ranlib /usr/local/lib/gdal.a