[GRASSLIST:1823] Re: NAD83 datum

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 16:24:40 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Thomas Adams wrote:

> I need to use the NAD83 ellipsoid datum for the display & analysis of
> NOAA NCEP numerical weather prediction (NWP) data over the continental
> U.S., but with GRASS 5.0.2 NAD83 does not appear to be an option. Any
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                             What do you mean?
Are the capital letters the problem? It should be nad83 in GRASS. Assuming
that you need to specify the datum because you want to reproject data that
is referenced to a different datum, you should note that the capabilites
for this are very limited in 5.0.x (only between nad27 and nad83 and only
using the NADCON tables).

> thoughts what I might be able to do?

Well if you just need to display and analyse data and not re-project it
you don't have a problem... Otherwise upgrading to 5.3, which has datum
transformation support, might be useful for you. Depends on what you want
to do.