[GRASSLIST:1828] Re: i.ortho.photo on osx

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Nov 19 20:44:38 EST 2003

Richard,

So I am amazed, it worked like a charm.  What is more, it also worked much
faster than using meters (~4 hours processor time with meters, and ~10 minutes
time with feet).  I am a little confused why this would work though, all you
are doing is essentially adding vertical exagerration (3.2808 times).  It seems
like multiplying by any random number would work (e.g. 10, 5, etc.)  Feet makes
sense only because it is easy to remember.  This goes against an earlier post
that said big elevation differences don't work that well.  Any ideas from the
gurus why this would happen?

My next step is to make the DEM file in feet first, then use that as the target
elevation file originally, and go from there.  This would save the tedious step
of having to convert everything into feet.

The only addition I would add to your directions are to make sure that you
change the target elevation file to the new dem_feet file (obviously).

Thanks a lot for you help,
Ian