[GRASSLIST:1858] Re: r.in.gdal not found

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Nov 21 00:05:16 EST 2003

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> >> Now that grass is built and installed (with gdal) without any errors,
> >> have a couple of user questions.
> >>
> >> First issue... when I try and import a non-georefrenced file with the
> >> command:
> >>
> >> GRASS:~ > r.in.gdal
> >> in=~/projects/wrf/map_imagery/typestand2325/legend1.tif out=legend1
> >>
> >> I get the message:
> >>
> >> bash: r.in.gdal: command not found
> >
> > This indicates that r.in.gdal isn't installed. Try running "make" and
> > "make install" again.
>
> OK... I tried re-doing make and make install. But, I get the same
> message.

Normally I would ask what messages you get from "make", but in the
light of your subsequent comments, it's a safe bet that they will
amount to "can't find the GDAL library".

Presumably r.in.gdal is listed in error.log, indicating that it failed
to build.

> I tried a make clean, then a ./configure with the same config file:
>
> ./configure \
> --with-grass=no \
> --with-png=internal \
> --with-jpeg=internal \
> --with-gif=internal \
> --with-libtiff=internal \
> --with-geotiff=internal \
> --with-libz=internal \
> --without-ogr \
> --without-pg \
> --without-ogdi \
> --without-python

I was referring to re-building GRASS, not GDAL. But if GDAL itself
won't build/install, r.in.gdal won't build either.

> and a new make/make install. The failed with the errors:

> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `gdal_crs.o', needed by `default'.
> Stop.
> make: *** [core-target] Error 2
>
> What is gdal_crs.o?

No idea; you appear to have a more recent version of GDAL than I do.

Problems with GDAL itself are more likely to get a useful response if
they are addressed to a GDAL-related mailing list or other forum.