[GRASSLIST:1910] Re: i.ortho.photo on osx

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Fri Nov 28 19:59:43 EST 2003

At 10:07 AM 11/26/2003, Markus Neteler wrote:

>Reference:
>http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2003-November/010893.html
>
>Above problems should be fixed now (in 5.3-CVS). Reason was
>that a DEM of FCELL type was not read properly.
>In case of such troubles either update i.ortho.photo or use
>'r.recode' to make the DEM of DCELL type.

Markus, Ian;

I revisited my problematic project, converted to DCELL and it worked very
nicely. Thanks Markus! But, I am confused on FCELL versus DCELL. I assumed
that my metric DEM was integers and that converting to feet created a
floating point, or double precision DEM, thus avoiding the problem you
describe above. But what is the difference between FCELL and DCELL?

An important note (especially for Ian), my Overall rms error was 17.92 with
my DEM in feet, but went down to 1.71 with a DCELL DEM in meters. I believe
this is because the vertical units must be the same as the horizontal
units. In other words, by converting to feet I was able to bypass the
problem Markus has described and create a visually acceptable ortho
rectification, but not a 'correct' rectification. I had attributed the high
rms error to bad data, but I no longer believe that to be the case.

Two 'off topic' notes:

Markus - I have a 5.0.3 cygwin binary distribution at
www.greenwoodmap.com/grasss (see configure.log for configure options) I
have been using it for about two weeks and I am reasonably confident with
it. In my limited testing, PostgreSQL seems to be working, too!

Ian - my sister and here ex-husband (Helen and Paul Hansma) both
teach/research at UCSB in surface biology and physics. Please give them my
regards if you happen to know them.

Best regards,
Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS