[GRASSLIST:1452] Re: PostGis & GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 9 04:57:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:17:20AM +0200, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> Dear users,
> I'm starting develooping one application in wich i
> would like to use:
>
> - PostGis as a database to retrive real-time
> climatic data

Do you mean PostGIS (for vector geometry) or PostgreSQL (for
data sets)?

> - R as statistical software for validate and
> complete missing data
> - Grass as model environmenteal to elaborate data
> - Mapserver as web viewer
>
> In order to combine such environments I wuold have
> some question:
>
> - Is it possible linke R with PostGIS in the same
> way I link R with PostgreSQL?

You can link R to PostgreSQL:
http://grass.itc.it/statsgrass/learning_r1.html#Connecting_R_to_RDBMS

You can link R to GDAL:
http://spatial.nhh.no/R/gdal/

> - I'd like to use a stable version of GRASS but
> GRASS 5.1 is very attractive, so how much instable
> it is?

Good question :-) We use it already but things can change
without being advertised.

> Also, if anyone has try to make something like
> this or has some suggestions it would be very
> appreciated.....
>
> Thanks you all

Cheers

 Markus