[GRASSLIST:1506] multiple terminal sessions

Ed Davison bfdi533 at cbacc-security3.bus.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:47:30 EDT 2003

I have noticed that a user cannot login to a grass session more than
once and that is understood.

But, I would like to run multiple xterms to work on various aspects of a
coverage at the same time.  For example, right now I have a large data
load taking place but I would like to be able to do other things with
layers and maps that are not being loaded (the load will likely take
about 6 hours even on my fast computer).

I see that in tcltkgrass (which I do not use) that it can launch
multiple xterms and get things done that way.

I have tried this myself and everytime I launch an xterm (either with
"xterm &" or with "exec xterm") they come up with their own environment
that is NOT capable of using GRASS.

How do I do this with just an xterm without having to use tcltkgrass?

Ed Davison