[GRASSLIST:1098] Re: GRASSLIST digest 1136

Scott W Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 08:49:11 EDT 2003

I have been using GRASS on my Mac running OS X for a couple of years
without trouble.  The major caveat is that I have not needed the
database access routines.  I haven't had time to investigate them yet,
so am not much help to you there.  However, other people should not get
the impression that GRASS as a whole is a problem under OS X.  The
commands that I regularly use all work perfectly, and it is news to me
that the database stuff doesn't.

I normally compile from source on my own machine, but I get a lot of
the packages GRASS depends on from fink.  I have been following
development versions of 5.0.x with regular recompiles, and haven't had
any troubles in months getting it to compile.  The GRASS development
people have been making a good effort to make the build system
recognize the OS X platform and use the proper compile-time
adjustments.  And just recently, the "experimental" GRASS 5.1 was
successfully modified to compile under OS X too.

A colleague of mine (and I provide most of his "tech support" on this)
uses GRASS from fink, and has had no troubles (but he doesn't use the
postgres stuff either).  I think that this is a good option for
installing GRASS, and am sorry to hear you didn't hear from the
maintainer about your troubles.  The R stats package IS available
through fink, by the way, contrary to what you wrote in one of your
posts.  Perhaps we can discuss what specifically was wrong with the
package ?  Again, if it has only to do with the postgres stuff, I'm
probably not too useful. I have seen lots of traffic going by on the
fink mailing lists about postgres, so perhaps someone out there is
using the combination and can help.  I'd be willing to experiment, but
will have learning curve and time management issues, especially as the
new term begins.

In short, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but I think it
should be clear to other people that these problems seem to be specific
to the integration of GRASS and external database systems, not to the
GRASS system as a whole.

Cheers,
Scott
------
Scott W. Mitchell		Scott_Mitchell AT carleton.ca
Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
Carleton University, B349 Loeb Building
Ottawa, ON Canada

There have been a FEW posts on this recently, I think it all started
with: