[GRASSLIST:1152] Re: Changing mapsets

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Sep 9 19:56:53 EDT 2003

SWlab wrote:

> How can I change my current working mapset during a single GRASS session,
> while staying in the same location ?  First, is it possible ?

It's possible, but not officially supported (yet; this is a goal for
future versions of GRASS).

> If not, what
> prevents it (viz, what options are written where, that could reinitialized
> with a script for example...)

Essentially, you just need to change the value of the MAPSET
parameter. Methods for doing this include:

1. Running the $GISBASE/etc/set_data program, and entering the new
settings.

2. Running "g.gisenv set=MAPSET=newmapset".

3. Editing the $GISRC file (i.e. ~/.grassrc5) manually.

Potential adverse side effects include:

1. The tcltkgrass interface won't recognise any changes; it reads the
parameters from $GISRC at start-up, and can't be made to re-read them.
The same is likely to apply to any other "persistent" programs such as
NVIZ.

2. Display monitors may retain data which relies upon the settings
remaining fixed; run "d.erase" prior to changing the settings.

3. Possibly others.

If you want to know exactly what a GRASS "session" is, look at the
scripts $GISBASE/etc/Init.sh and grass5 (typically
/usr/local/bin/grass5).