[GRASSLIST:1197] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Perez gacp at d-konstruktors.org
Thu Sep 11 07:35:07 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

> Are the Spearfish maps licensed as free software according to the DFSG?
>  http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Those and other (more useful) data.  The BIG question.

> The other issue is convincing the live-CD distros to include the data;
> Spearfish is 26mb uncompressed.

I have a minute, so I won't explain much: Morphix.  A derivative of
Knoppix (a derivative of Debian), but unlike Knoppix, Morphix is built
as *modules* (or so I read).  So it should be easy to change the
non-core modules for a GRASS-GIS module and make a Morphix-based
GIS-focused Linux live CD.

Still, most newbies will hit a wall.

Best, Gustavo