[GRASSLIST:1198] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 07:58:06 EDT 2003

> > You might have seen that we've already have GRASS on several
> > live running CDs. The problem mainly is in the data.
>
> I do have to disagree on this.  I've tried one of those CDs (the one
> that *would* download!).

Curious to know which one.

> Not for the faint of heart.  Sure, data is missing.

Which is why running through the Spearfish &/or Leics tutorial is
so essential for new users (& needs to be on those CDs).

> But the familiarization is a rough time, even more so for
> people who are using Linux first time.  Sorta diving onto concrete.
> *Command line*, you said????????????????????????

Matlab, Mathematica, R, GMT Mapping, GRI graphics -- all top scientific
& industry software which require you to get down to the command line.
GUI does not mean ease of use, and CLI does not mean hard to use. I
usually make a GRASS icon[*] on the desktop of people who aren't big on
the command line. That gets them straight to the TclTkGrass Menus & no
command line horror.
The "A" in GRASS is for "Analysis" remember, not Eye-candy.

> > We welcome your help. :)
>
> I wish!  Really, I want but can't.  Best I can afford right now is
> lead people to try GRASS, and to help newbies pass the hump.   But I
> do want to do more, at least tranlating docs.

Sure you can. Point out errors in the help pages and missing features in
the TclTk menu system. File bugs & wishes in the bug system. Type
something up for one of the missing parts of the tutorial. Translate the
bits of the tutorial you think are most important. You don't have to be
a programmer to help, and GRASS is a huge collection of little things
needing help.

[*] Start with a script called "start_grass" (icon is attached)
#!/bin/sh

export GRASS_TRUECOLOR=TRUE
renice +5 -p $$
cd ~/grassdata
exec /usr/bin/gnome-terminal --geometry 87x25+0+275 -e "grass5 -tcltk"