[GRASSLIST:1247] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Sep 16 08:32:46 EDT 2003

It makes perfectly sense for me, but GPL does not allow that.
Because GRASS libraries are covered by GPL, you cannot distribute
proprietary SW linked to GRASS libraries.

But don't give up immediately! I think that it is possible either:
1) Fulfil old plan to release GRASS IO libraries under LGPL.
   The problem is that we probably have to ask all developers
   who contributed to such libraries after 'public domain / CERL' era.
   Another question is how much will be allowed by GRASS developers
   to put into 'IO' and if it is enough for any applications exept import/export.
2) Take old version of GRASS released as 'Public domain', release it
   under some reasonable license (MIT/X) and do again all the bugfixing
   porting etc. wich was done in current GRASS. Certainly it is not
   possible to take improvements directly from current version, but
   I think, that it is legal to compare old and current version to identify
   what must be changed and then to code it without looking to current
   GPL version, maybe not, maybe danger for future?
3) Write completely new library under better license.

Maybe start with 1) and later switch to 3).

Radim