[GRASSLIST:1378] Re: compiling grass57

Miha STAUT mihastaut at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:46:12 EDT 2003

>On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:42:34AM +0000, Miha STAUT wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried to compile the grass57 source on my RedHat 7.3. However this is
>what
> > happened while running make. I really am not an expert in compiling but
> > would like to have the added power of grass57. Can anybody point me in
>the
> > right direction.
> >
> > get_datum_name.c:33: conflicting types for `G_ask_datum_name'
> > /home/src/grass57_exp_2003_09_13/include/gisdefs.h:530: previous
>declaration
> > of `G_ask_datum_name'
> > make[2]: *** [OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/get_datum_name.o] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/src/grass57_exp_2003_09_13/lib/gis'
> > make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/src/grass57_exp_2003_09_13/lib'
> > make: *** [default] Error 1
> >
> > Thanks, Miha Staut
>
>You have to compile GRASS 5.7 with GRASS 5.3-cvs HEAD (not release branch,
>not official version).
>It is likely that the version of 5.3 you are linking into is outdated.
>Both versions should be from the same week, preferably from
>the same day (so
>   cvs up -dP
>can update it for you) as they are kept in sync.
>
>Markus

Hi all and thanks to Hamish and Markus,

Eventually I managed to compile both the codes (grass50_exp and grass57).
One error was reported at the end of make and seems to be related to the 3d
modules (is that correct?):

GRASS GIS source code compiled.

Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/g3d (ignored)

* In case of errors please check following web page for hints:
    http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/compilation_hints.html

cp -f error.log error.log.i686-pc-linux-gnu

What I do not like is that non interactive version of g.region does not want
to work due to problems with the PROJ library. I recently installed PROJ
4.4.7 and libproj.so.0 resides in /usr/local/lib. I also gave the
--with-proj-libs at configure and it did not complain. But whenever I invoke
the g.region command, it returns a message like this:

GRASS:/home > g.region -p
g.region: error while loading shared libraries: libproj.so.0: cannot open

This is true for GRASS 5.0 and for GRASS 5.7. There are also some other
commands making the same problem (like v.in.gshhs and some ther).

I use the g.region command often and to manually set all the environment
variables every time would be a time consuming process. What should I do?

Thanks, Miha Staut