[GRASSLIST:3232] nice color ramp

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Apr 20 11:42:33 EDT 2004

This is a nice color ramp. A year or so ago, I remember someone else
coming up with a nice elevation color ramp. I did one for elevation
maps in the Spearfish demo set that has a somewhat different approach,
using percentages for part.

A wish (maybe silly or trivial):
It would be nice if there was someplace people could post color ramps
like these, and other such interchangeable files like icons so that
others could use them. For example, playing around I made a bug icon
for bugsites in the Spearfish data along with house, powerline, and
trowel (I'm an archaeologist) icons. I'd be happy to share them and the
color ramp.

Michael Barton

On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 10:01  PM, Multiple recipients of list
wrote:

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon Apr 19, 2004  7:40:51  PM America/Phoenix
> To: Richard Greenwood <rich at greenwoodmap.com>
> Cc: grass list <GRASSLIST at baylor.edu>
> Subject: [GRASSLIST:3221] Re: colors for d.his
>

>> Could anyone provide hints for creating a nice color ramp for the map
>> used as the hue parameter of d.his suitable for representing an alpine
>> valley in which the lowest elevations would be green going to brown,
>> grey, and white for the highest elevations?
>

> see:
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2072
>
> thus,
>
> r.colors map=xxxx col=rules << EOF
> -11000 0 0 0
> -500 0 0 30
> -100 0 0 200
> -1 150 150 255
> 0 0 150 0
> 270 90 165 90
> 300 90 175 90
> 500 50 180 50
> 500 70 170 70
> 1000 70 145 75
> 1000 70 155 75
> 2000 150 156 100
> 2800 220 220 220
> 3000 255 255 255
> 8850 255 255 255
> nv 255 255 255
> EOF
>

> i.e. [elevation Red Green Blue]
>
> or for your suggested colors, use these rules:
>
> 0% green
> 33.3% brown
> 66.7% grey
> 100% white