[GRASSLIST:3239] Re: colors for d.his

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 20 16:45:29 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Thank you for the prompt reply. After reading the documentation it
> > proves to be much easier than I was making it. I am embarrassed to have
> > posted such a trivial question.
>
> To make it less trivial, someone could implement above color table
> into r.colors as 'terrain'...

Or maybe:

	r.colors ... rules=<name>

which would just be shorthand for e.g.:

	r.colors ... color=rules < $GISBASE/colors/<name>

That way, adding new tables (e.g. "terrain") would just be a matter of
adding a rules file; no coding involved.

The only cases which should really need to be coded are those which
can't be described by a fixed set of rules. BTW, most of the existing
colour tables could be implemented using rules; AFAICT, the only ones
which can't are "grey.eq", "grey.log" and "random".

Actually, maybe we should just change the semantics of the "color=..."
option so that anything other than "rules", "grey.eq", "grey.log" and
"random" is treated as the name of a rules file.