[GRASSLIST:3301] Re: regarding configure Problem with glBegin and Mesa

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Apr 29 00:06:15 EDT 2004

Michael Salisbury wrote:

> I emailed the list about a problem with the configure script for 5.0.3.

> I have the latest Mesa library(6.0 something) and when I run the
> configure script I get the message that it can't find the openGL
> library. In particular, it can't find glBegin. I checked libGL.so.1
> and it does have glBegin (using nm -d the/library | grep glBegin). I
> took Glynn's advice and looked at the config.log and this is what
> the last couple of lines were:

> configure:9400: gcc -E  -I/usr/X11R6/include/  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:9392: checking for GL/glu.h
> configure:9400: gcc -E  -I/usr/X11R6/include/  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:9434: checking for location of OpenGL library
> configure:9461: checking for glBegin in -lGL
> configure:9478: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -L/usr/lib  conftest.c -lGL  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11  -lm   1>&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

> I don't understand what is the problem accept that the configure
> script isn't finding the libGL.so.1. Does "confdefs.h" have anything
> to do with my problem or is the latest Mesa library too new? Should
> I go for an older version of Mesa?

1. There needs to be a file (or a symlink to one) called "libGL.so",
without any trailing version number. If you installed Mesa from a
package (e.g. RPM), you may need to install the corresponding
development package (on RedHat it's called "Mesa-devel").

2. Is libGL.so in /usr/local/lib? If so, you need to add the switch:

	--with-opengl-libs=/usr/local/lib

to the configure command.