[GRASSLIST:4089] Re: nviz works

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 20:33:05 EDT 2004

> Hope this can be useful to other Debian users.
> Perhaps we should write this somewhere (on the installation
> instructions?). All the best.
> NVIZ works with Debian.
> rm /usr/lib/libtcl.so.0
> rm /usr/lib/libtk.so.0
> apt-get install tcl8.3 tk8.3
> ln -s /usr/lib/libtk8.3.so.1 /usr/lib/libtk.so.0
> ln -s /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so.1 /usr/lib/libtcl.so.0
> ldconfig

Just to be clear:

What we are talking about here is installing the generic linux
precompiled GRASS binaries from:
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass57/binary/linux/snapshot/

This is nothing to do with any official Debian package.

/usr/lib/libtcl.so.0
/usr/lib/libtk.so.0
do not exist in any Debian/testing package.

/usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so.1
/usr/lib/libtk8.3.so.1
are in the tcl8.3 and tk8.3 Debian packages.

Currently NVIZ doesn't work with Debian's version of tcl/tk8.4, we think
it is a threading problem.

But it is good to know that the weekly snapshot binaries will work on
Debian systems with this small tweak.

regards,
Hamish