[GRASSLIST:4110] idw vs. rst interpolation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Aug 5 15:39:19 EDT 2004

I have a file of points representing data from the Baltic Sea, which I need
to interpolate to create several different surfaces.

Normally, I¹ve used RST interpolation in the past. However, these points
form a regularly spaced grid of sampling locations (with complete coverage)
and there are MANY points (several hundred thousand).

Given this, is there any advantage to using IDW or RST interpolation (or an
alternative algorithm) with respect to 1) accuracy of the surface models
derived from interpolation and 2) speed of interpolation?

Thanks for the advice
Michael
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671