[GRASSLIST:4121] Looking for information about wildfire simulation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Aug 6 12:36:50 EDT 2004

I am looking at the GRASS wildfire simulation module as a way to model
multiple least-cost sea routes with sailing vessels. I know it sounds a bit
odd. But the wildfire simulation is driven primarily by wind and topography
if fuel distribution is held constant.

I am hoping that someone who understands the underlying operation of this
model (based on the BEHAVE fire model) can offer some guidance on a couple
points.

Wind velocity and direction is included in the model. I'd like to add
current information if we have it. It seems that slope and aspect would be
good places for this kind of information. However, does anyone know how wind
and topography are combined in the model? I assume it is a form of weighted
vector addition.

Second, as I indicated, I need to hold the fuel variables constant. After
some experiment, it is clear that not just any constant values will do for
these variables--even if they are in the accepted range of values. If I can
find a set of values that work to give a simple isotropic fuel distribution
that I can vary to affect spread rate in a systematic way, I can empirically
alter variables to approximate drag as a vessel moves through the water.
Does anyone have a suggestion about starting values to do this?

I did try to track down the original author Xu Jianping without success so
far.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Barton