[GRASSLIST:4172] Re: Map import cluelessness

C.S. Cornuelle bob at xmission.com
Wed Aug 11 13:20:32 EDT 2004

Ian,

Thanks.  I did originally attempt what you suggest, but ran up against
a wall - of my own ignorance, probably.  :^)

Namely, setting up the projection of the Mercator location does not
seem to work for me.  To get concrete:

I start with -

	D   Other Projection

and choose

	Please specify projection name = merc
	Please specify datum name = wgs84 (no real basis for this ...)
	Now select Datum Transformation Parameters = well, see

	>list
	Number  Details
	---
	1       Used in Default wgs84 region
	        (PROJ.4 Params towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000)
		Default 3-Parameter Transformation

So I used this, as it is the only choice.

Now we get to the hard part.

	Enter Latitude of True Scale [lat_ts] (0) : 0 (default for
	Mercator as I understand this)

	Enter Central Meridian [lon_0] (96W) : 30E (in my case)

	Enter Scale Factor at the Central Meridian [k_0]
	[1.0000000000]: (no idea what this is, so left it at 1)

	Enter plural form of units [meters]: (OK, it really breaks down
	here for me, since entering anything besides meters leads to a
	request for the conversion from "whatever" to meters, all of
	which in the context of a Mercator projection seems odd to me.)

In the end, this looks just like an (x,y) location.  Clearly I am not
understanding what is going on here.  Perhaps I need to look into
using something like gdalwarp to translate my scanned Mercator map into
lat-lon or?

Thus spake Ian MacMillan (ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu):

--
Adios,