[GRASSLIST:4185] dxf files in 3D

Andrew selkiesdad at twcny.rr.com
Mon Aug 16 08:03:59 EDT 2004

I am anticipating a problem. I have a requested a dataset from a mine
geologist which represents the 3D structure of the mine proper from
which his proprietary program creates stratigraphic maps. The file
contains the information extracted from cores and related samples over
decades of drilling and exploration. I need to create depth layers of
this data for a project of my own, as opposed to the full 3D images or
vertical cross sections he usually works with. I am not certain, but my
best chance for acquiring this data may be accepting a 3D dxf file
(which imports directly into arcGIS, I am told, but I don't have
arcGIS). I have both Grass 5.3 and Grass 5.7 installed on my computer.
The 5.3 distribution has a pair of commands, v.in.dxf and v.in.dxf3d,
which may serve my purposes. This seems to be missing from 5.7. Is this
because the functionality is not yet/never-to-be implemented in 5.7, or
is its functionality subsumed by some other command or commands? Will I
have to import to 5.3, export to 5.7 and then work with , e.g. grid3D
stuff, or can it be done directly in 5.7 ? Are there problems with
v.in.dxf3d from 5.3 that I can expect to wrestle with (or perhaps be
defeated by)?

Thanks for any advance warning you may be able to give me. I am pressed
for time on this project.