[GRASSLIST:4207] Re: Density plots

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 18:38:15 EDT 2004

> A friend needs to produce a density plot for archaeological sites in a
> given area. Any ideas how to go about this in GRASS? Is there a
> specific module to perform such things or will it be a case of running
> several different operations to achieve this?

If your sites are generally more than one per cell, kernelling with
s.kernel or interfaced with one of the geostats tools in R.
Note s.kernel isn't built by default in 5.0/5.3, but is built as
v.kernel in 5.7.

If your sites are generally less than one per cell, you might try doing
something like "distance to the nearest site" using r.cost, then maybe
r.neighbors for smoothing if needed for a hardcopy. Then use a MASK and
r.univar for mean distance to a site from within your study area.

but maybe v.kernel is good either way, I'm no expert. To me site
densities <1 don't make much sense though..

Hamish