[GRASSLIST:4260] Re: shp import issue

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 19:12:17 EDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>
> I have an shp file with 1398 polygons. I can't import it into a proper
> vector file using v.in.shape because many unclosed ares and some double
> lines occure after v. support. However it imports perfect into a raster
> consisted of 1398 polygons using r.in.shape. What may it be?

Topological errors like unclosed area boundaries do not matter for raster
data or for the Simple Features vector model used in Shapefiles, but GRASS
uses a topologically correct vector model and the data are considered as
errors.

GRASS 5.7 (v.in.ogr especially) has many convenient facilities for fixing
these errors (which are caused by bad quality data).

Paul