[GRASSLIST:5085] Re: GRASS 5.7 vectors and R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 8 06:19:09 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Miha Staut wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is there any work going on about the communication of
> the new GRASS 5.7 vector format and R? The sites are
> no longer used in GRASS 5.7. I know I could use
> v.out.ascii --> R (read.table()), but anyway.

Not yet. The first task is to allow the new compression option for integer
grids for 5.4. One this is done, probably the 5.7 functionality will be
added for sites first, but this is much harder if all of the database
connectivity is to be built in - R has mechanisms for that independently,
and they would have to be brought in. If you can contribute at least your
experiences with v.out.ascii, they can be called through system() in R -
this was where the interface began originally.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no