[GRASSLIST:5146] Re: importing text with v.label

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 22:46:28 EST 2004

> The ascii files from the old GIS contain labeling information about
> each geographic object, including the text font, size, orientation and
> color!

Keeping all this information means you can use it with d.text.freetype;
you could merge with a shell script: perhaps after loading into a vector
and parsing the output of v.?|db.?, perhaps after loading into a vector
and parsing with 'dbview', or perhaps straight from your ascii file.

d.text.freetype --help

         text   Text (enclose multiple words "in quotes")
   east_north   Map coordinates
        color   Text color, either a standard GRASS color or R:G:B
triplet
         size   Height of letters (in percent of available frame height)
     rotation   Rotation angle in degrees (counterclockwise)
                default: 0

I really don't know much about v.label though, sorry.

Hamish