[GRASSLIST:5152] Re: GRASS + PostgreSQL

DrakeGis drakegis at dacafe.com
Tue Dec 14 09:35:33 EST 2004

Hi Joao,
  in order to import shapes files and link them to PostgreSQL you should
follow these steps

1) IN POSTGRESQL: you need to create a database
     (with the command createDB databasename )

2) IN GRASS: set a connection to such database
   a) v.database driver=pg database="host=127.0.0.1, dbname=alfa,
user=yourusername" NOTICE that this works if you set postgreSQL to work
with the -i option (so the connection is through the IP localhost
127.0.0.1 )
   b) db.connect driver=pg database="host=127.0.0.1, dbname=alfa,
user=yourusername" THIS open the connection

3) Import the shape files with File->import->vector or v.in....

   However I'm not sure about "how good" are the database capabilities  in
GRASS53, I suggest you to upgrade your system to GRASS54 or GRASS57
where the vector modules are supporting the connection with the
database.

 Enjoy it
   D.

> Dear,
>
> I have a map in grass and I need to import datas in DBF format.
>
> How I do this?
>
> I'm working with GRASS 5.3, Conectiva Linux and Postgress 7.2.
>
> I need to configure Postgress at GRASS? Where?
>
> Please, send me step by step.
>
> Thanks,
>
> João
> gruposig at uniplac.net

> Message sent using UebiMiau 2.7.8

Stay ahead of the information curve.
Receive GIS news and jobs on your desktop daily.
Subscribe today to the GIS CafeNews newsletter.
[ http://www10.giscafe.com/nl/newsletter_subscribe.php ]
It's informative and essential.