[GRASSLIST:5155] Early report on Cygwin Grass 5.4 Binary

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Tue Dec 14 08:59:02 EST 2004

My apologies if this becomes a re-post...

binary at http://grass.itc.it/grass54/binary/mswindows_cygwin/
<http://grass.itc.it/grass54/binary/mswindows_cygwin/> , with my comments
below.

Although I've only given it a quick once-through, everything appears to be
in working order. I was quite pleased with it actually. The tcltkgrass GUI
came up no problem, as did all display monitors. Displaying and zoom/panning
is no problem with any raster or vector dataset. PNG driver is working
nicely too.

NVIZ is actually working fine, I ran into no problems loading and
manipulating a DEM.

All g.*  programs are working great, I tried out g.region, g.list,
g.mapsets, g.access.

Logging out was executed cleanly, with no ugly error messages. Nice!

I suspect any big problems would have shown themselves in some of the
programs I used. However, I didn't try out any hardcore raster/vector
editing or processing programs.

I will continue working with this release during the week and report on any
glitches that arise.

I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far. This binary install was by far
the most painless to install and get up and running. Thanks to Richard and
Huidae and others for putting the time in to make this release available.

~ Eric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric Patton

Technologist, Geo-Spatial Data Services

Geological Survey of Canada (Atlantic)

Natural Resources Canada

Bedford Institute of Oceanography

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada B2Y 4A2

Postal address: P.O. Box 1006

Courier address: 1 Challenger Drive

Telephone: (902)426-7732

Facsimile:  (902)426-4104

E-mail:        <mailto:epatton at NRCan.gc.ca> epatton at NRCan.gc.ca