[GRASSLIST:5214] Re: region settings

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 07:10:11 EST 2004

> I have given a location that was inside my database to another user
> working over another computer...
> he put the location inside his database and all is working well...
> except that he can't change the region settings....
>
> I have tried to recursively change the owner of the location ... but
> it doesnt work....

As you seem to know, the mapset must be owned by the UNIX user that is
trying to modify the maps or region settings. (ls -l) This will
generally give you a GRASS error telling you as much.

If the data was copied from a CD, you also have to check that once
copied back onto hard disk the files are user writeable (as CDs and
thus files copied from CDs are read-only). Perhaps GRASS could give
better hints as to the problem in this case.

Specifically the region settings file:
chmod u+w $MAPSET/WIND

Hamish