[GRASSLIST:2450] internet domain sockets

Daniel Isenegger disen at geo.unizh.ch
Tue Feb 3 09:17:45 EST 2004

Hi
in the programmers manual progmangrass50 (Chapter 12.19) i found an
example for a socket server. I tested it and it works fine.
Unfortunately (at least for my needs) the routines desc. in 12.19
(G_sock_* which references unix_socks.c in
grass5sources/grass-5.0.3/src/libes/gis) uses unix domain sockets, which
generates in the /tmp/-directory a socket, which is not accessible from
a processes on other machines.

so the unix sockets communication is only usable from processes on the
same machine (or am I wrong here?).
so my question is: are there other routines in grass which uses internet
domain sockets (which uses a host and port definition and therefore
should be usable on for processes on different machines)

Thanks dani isenegger