[GRASSLIST:2538] Xlib - no protocol specified error

francesco pirotti francesco.pirotti at unipd.it
Tue Feb 10 16:20:31 EST 2004

Hello, strange error this time.
I start grass 5.7 and everything is fine.  If I type d.m to start a new
display manager from the terminal it gives me the following error
message:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't
connect to display ":0.0"
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error in startup script: this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't connect to
display ":0.0"
    while executing
"load /usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk 8.0"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require -exact BWidget 1.2.1"
    (file "/usr/local/grass5.7src/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/dm/d.m.tcl"
line 2)

If I try to start a new monitor "d.mon start=x1" from the terminal it
gives me a similar error:

Xlib: No protocol specified

ERROR: Graph_Set: can't open Display :0.0
No socket to connect to for monitor <x1>.
Problem selecting x1. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <x1>.

All this also happens in grass5.3 (with d.mon and d.dm), and in both
cases ONLY when the command is given from the terminal.  If I start a
monitor or the display manager from the tcltk interface in 5.3 it is
fine.
Any ideas?  (I am running tk8.4 on Linux Mandrake 10)

Thanks guys,
Francesco Pirotti
CIRGEO - University of Padua